A Leader in the Field of Integrative Medicine
National University of Health Sciences is the nation’s premier institution for health science education. Here you’ll find outstanding preparation in integrative health care professions such as chiropractic and naturopathic medicine, acupuncture and oriental medicine, biomedical science, and more.
At National University, a superior health care education starts with:
- Evidence-Based Medicine
Diagnostic and healing modalities based in sound science and clinical research
- Broad-Scope Curriculum
Evaluating the whole picture of a patient’s health, and applying a wide range of healing modalities
- Patient-Centered Care
Diagnosing and treating patients based on a thorough evaluation of their individual health profile and history
- Integrative Medicine
Knowing better patient outcomes are possible when professionals from different medical specialties work together
Our Academic Superiority
National University’s academic program is rigorous, uncompromising and built on a solid foundation in the basic sciences. We maintain high admission standards for our students; for example, NUHS is the only chiropractic degree program to require a bachelor’s degree. Students in the naturopathic medicine program also require a baccalaureate degree. As a result, the student body at National University is of a higher academic caliber and our students score well above national averages on required board and licensure tests. They often become leaders in their professions, and credit National University as the reason for their confidence and success.
Patient Care Preparation
We prepare our graduates as first-contact, primary care physicians who are fully qualified to diagnose, treat and manage a wide range of conditions. Since integrative medicine is a part of our mission, our graduates know how to co-manage cases with other health care specialists, and will serve as a valued member of any integrative medical team.
Our History of Leadership
National University has always been a driving force for moving natural health care into mainstream medicine. Did you know:
- National University was the first to offer hospital experience to chiropractic students, the first to push for national accreditation of chiropractic colleges, and the first to publish medically-indexed and peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Our not-for-profit university is classified as a Class I Medical School in the State of Illinois, and is accredited by the same body that accredits other medical schools in the region.
- By the time a DC or ND graduates from National University, they have completed five academic years of graduate studies and clinical training.
- Our DC and ND graduates are trained as primary care physicians, and receive the same basic science education in courses such as anatomy, physiology, neurology, pathology and diagnosis as MD students in allopathic medical schools.
- Our acupuncture and oriental medical students learn about Western medicine as well as traditional Chinese medicine, so they can understand both perspectives.
- National University’s clinical program offers hospital rotations and clerkships in six different Veterans’ Administration medical facilities and at a Salvation Army based clinic serving the homeless and those in need.
- We are one of very few alternative medicine universities to offer post-graduate residencies in diagnostic imaging, research and family practice, as well as participating in certified residency programs in prestigious institutions.
National University maintains the most rigorous and respected academic and clinical training in our fields. We do this so that patients just like you will receive the best quality care from our graduates. Wherever you see complementary and alternative medicine achieving a higher standard of care, bringing effective natural healing arts into mainstream medical venues, National University and its graduates are there.