Select Page
chiropractic adjustment class demonstration


The financial aid process is similar for both graduate and undergraduate students. Unless otherwise indicated, the response is applicable to all NUHS students applying for financial aid. Specific information on how to apply for aid is found in the “Getting Started” section of each academic program. The answers below reference general financial aid information that will answer most students’ questions.


How does the Financial Aid (FA) process work?
  1. Students must begin the process by completing the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA). An FSA ID will be required. See What is a FSA ID? below.
  2. National University of Health Science’s school code is 001732.
  3. Beginning approximately three (3) months prior to each trimester’s start, an informational email is sent to newly applied/accepted students outlining the aid process with appropriate NUHS web page links.
  4. Submitted FAFSA data is reviewed, and the applicant is contacted if additional clarification and/or documents are required in order to determine an aid package.

Award letters are sent via U.S. mail to the applicant with specific instructions on how to obtain awarded funds.

When do I apply for Financial Aid (FA)?
At least three (3) months prior to intended program start.
If I want to transfer from another first professional program, can I transfer my financial aid to your school as well?
Student loans don’t transfer between schools, so no matter when you switch colleges, you’ll need to resubmit your FAFSA form. If you are transferring mid-year, you do not need to complete a new form from scratch. Rather, you can access the FAFSA already on file and resubmit it with your updated school choice.
How can I best reach FA at National University, if I call the FA line and don’t get a return call?

You may reach out the Office of Financial Aid at [email protected].

National University’s Office of Financial Aid understands the challenges you face in financing your education. We are here to assist you in that process. Our goal is to make the financial aid process as easy as possible for you.

Office Location: The Financial Aid Office is located on the second floor of Janse Hall.

Office Hours: Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. / Tues: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.


What is a FAFSA?

The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students submit the FAFSA to apply for financial aid for college from the federal government, state governments and most colleges and universities. About 20 million students file the FAFSA each year. Financial aid includes grants, scholarships, student employment and student loans.

As the name suggests, the FAFSA is a free form, and can be filed online at There is no need to pay anybody for help filing the FAFSA.

Is a Personal Identification Number (PIN) Required
While PIN numbers are no longer required, you must, however, create a Federal Student Loan (FSA) Identification number.
What is an FSA ID?

The first step, before filling out the FAFSA, is to create an FSA ID, which serves as an electronic signature. Parents and students can find a link to obtain an FSA ID through the Federal Student Aid website. To create a unique ID, applicants will need their Social Security number, date of birth and their name as it appears on official documents.

The FSA ID is required in order to sign the FAFSA online and to log in to the myStudentAid mobile app.

When should I fill out my FAFSA form?

Examples: Complete the 2021/2022 FAFSA for a September 2021 start in June 2021, January 2022 in October 2021, or for May 2022 in February 2022.

Which year do I fill out the FAFSA forms?

You have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school in order to stay eligible for federal student aid.

Will someone be able to help me with my FAFSA?

  • Download the “Complete the FAFSA” for a detailed guide to completing the application, including help on specific questions.
  • Additionally, the federal government can help if you have questions with the form. If you are not sure which service center to call, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 or by email at [email protected].
  • When you are working on the FAFSA online, you can also click the “Live Help” button.
Why do I have to include my spouse's information on the FAFSA?
The government requires your spouse’s information be completed when determining your financial aid eligibility. They are not stating that your spouse must pay for your education; they are merely stating that they must use your spouses’s financial data in determining your eligibility for federal funds.
I will be taking Prerequisite Program courses at NUHS before enrolling in a graduate program. How do I fill out the FAFSA?
Since Prerequisite Program courses are at undergraduate level, you must complete the FAFSA as if you are applying for undergraduate aid. This means you must:

  1. Indicate that you are at the 5th year undergraduate level
  2. Indicate you are enrolling in a non-degree program
  3. Indicate enrollment in an undergraduate program. These data elements are updated to graduate responses prior to enrollment in a graduate program.

Those taking courses in the Prerequisite Program at NUHS who have submitted an application for an NUHS professional degree will receive a 50% discount on courses required for admission to DC or ND programs.

I was selected for "verification." What does that mean?

If you were selected for “verification,” you will receive notification from the Office of Financial Aid requesting certain documents to verify that the data reported on your FAFSA was correct. These documents might include, but are not limited to, federal tax returns, W-2, a verification worksheet, and proof of citizenship. Once your file has been verified the Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your financial aid eligibility.

Students selected for verification must submit requested documents in the timeframe specified in order to receive a financial aid Award Letter. Eligible applicants who fail to provide requested documents by the last date of enrollment or August 20 of any award year (e.g., August 20, 2021 for the 2021-2022 year) will be ineligible to receive federal financial aid.

How long will the verification process take?
Generally, the verification process will be complete within one week of the documents being turned in to the office.
What if something is discovered to be incorrect on my FAFSA during the verification process?
If something is incorrect on your FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid will correct it and send any change(s) electronically to the Federal Processor. If any changes are made, you will receive a new student aid report from the processor indicating those changes.
How will I know that the verification process has been completed?
You will receive an award notification from the Office of Financial Aid indicating your eligibility for financial aid.
What else will I need to turn in to the Office of Financial Aid?
You will be contacted via email if any additional information is needed from you to determine an award package for the year. Depending on the results of your FAFSA, you may be asked to submit a copy of your Social Security card, proof of birth date, confirmation of citizenship, or financial information. Please submit the requested documents as soon as possible.


What is an award?
Once a college admits you and reviews the information you provided on your financial aid applications (including FAFSA), it will offer you a “financial aid package.” This is sometimes called an award. In this package are different types of aid intended to meet all or part of your financial need for one academic year. The size and makeup of a financial aid package is, for many students, a major factor in determining which college to choose.
What should be in my Financial Aid Award Letter?

Your award letter will list the types and amounts of aid being offered. Aid may be a grant, a scholarship, a loan, work-study—or a combination of these aid types.

The award letter should also include:

  • A breakdown of the college’s cost of attendance (COA)
  • Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
  • The amount of your financial need the college is meeting
  • The deadline for accepting the aid offered
  • How and when the money will be disbursed
  • The academic period the award covers
  • The process for accepting or declining aid
  • Any additional documentation needed
How will I be notified of my awards?

First-time students applying for financial aid will be sent an award offer via U.S. postal mail. Included will be the amount and source of awarded funds, along with additional required steps to receive the aid offered.

Continuing students will be informed when aid for the award period is entered and viewable at The Financial Services Office sends estimated billing statements to all students three (3) weeks prior to the start of the upcoming term.

How long does it take to receive an award letter after applying for aid?
The Award Letters are sent out starting two months prior to the beginning of your first trimester. If you have not received your award notification prior to the beginning of the trimester, please contact the Office of Financial Aid to make certain they have received your student aid report, and have been notified that you have been admitted to the university.
What do I do with my award letter when I receive it?
You must sign one copy of your award letter, indicate any awards you wish to reject or decrease, and return it to the NUHS Office of Financial Aid. (Keep one copy for your own records). Specific instructions for receiving the funds will be included in the mailing you receive.


How do I get my loan funds?

After completing all required steps to obtain loan funds, the Federal Direct Loan funds (DL) are transferred electronically to the Office of Financial Services at NUHS at the start of each trimester. Prior to releasing funds to your account, your enrollment status will be reviewed and your financial aid may be reduced if any changes in enrollment reduce the budget on which aid is based.

When will I be packaged by FA? (How long will it take for my loan funds to arrive)?

After confirming that all required forms were received, and enrollment status verified, your loan funds should arrive the second week of class.

How will I know that the funds were applied to my account?
The Office of Financial Services sends an email when the funds are applied to your account indicating the amount and source of the loan. That email also indicates the approximate date you may pick up a refund check from the Cashier’s office.
Can I have my refund check direct deposited to my checking account?
Not at this time. Refund checks are picked up from the Cashier or you may request to have it mailed to you instead.


Are housing costs included in loans?

The living expense amount is based on where you are living for the year. Whether living on-campus, off-campus or at home with parents/relatives, this is a fixed amount allocated for living expenses that needs to be carefully budgeted for the year. This includes allowances for rent, utilities, food, transportation, and personal expenses.

Financial aid funds are to be used solely for educational expenses. Under no circumstances will non-educational expenses be included in the Cost of Attendance. These expenses include items such as car payments, credit card payments, recreation, higher than normal rent/mortgage, spousal insurance, moving expenses, and security deposits. Living allowance information is listed in the “Cost Estimates” section in each program.

Will I receive enough funds to cover the cost of education?

Undergraduate students are eligible for a variety of federal aid sources. Individual eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need (through submission of the FAFSA). Students may receive a Pell Grant, a Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, and Illinois residents may receive the Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. Additionally, since undergraduate courses are held in the evening, most students maintain part-time employment to assist with their educational costs. In addition to personal and family resources, undergraduate students may borrow from non-federal, private loan programs. These loans are credit-based and may require a co-signer.

Parents of undergraduate dependent students may borrow from the Parent PLUS loan, a low-cost, credit-based loan available through the Federal Direct Parent PLUS program. Interested parents should contact the Office of Financial Aid for further information.

Graduate students are generally able to borrow the estimated Cost of Education through the Direct Loan (not credit-based) and/or Graduate PLUS (credit-based) loan programs.

Degree seeking students may also work on campus under the Federal College Work Study program to help meet their expenses and to reduce the amount of loan.

What if I decide I don't need to borrow as much as I did?
You have the right to decrease your loan amount at any time throughout the period of your loan. You can decrease the amount you wish to receive on your Award Letter; or after funds have been disbursed to your account, you may write a check for the amount you wish to return and drop it off at the Office of Financial Aid. Sometimes it’s difficult to know just how large a refund you will receive until after the university bill is paid, and it’s OK to return a refund check rather than cash it.
How do I purchase my textbooks and supplies?
MBS Direct is National’s online resource for textbooks, references and other supplies. Students access the bookstore via the MyNU Student Portal. A student supply center is located in in the Illinois site for the sale of additional supplies needed in the curriculum.
What happens if I reduce the number of classes I take in a trimester?
Tuition paid from Federal Direct loan proceeds will be returned to the U.S. Treasury due to a reduced course load. In addition, you could lose your financial aid eligibility. Courses dropped during a term are counted as “attempted” and may affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress status. If you intend to enroll as anything other than at least half-time student status, please consult with the Office of Financial Aid.
What if I withdraw?
Always consult the Office of Financial Aid before making a decision to withdraw. The government has very specific guidelines to be followed in the case of withdrawal from classes. It is possible you could end up owing the government a refund of funds already paid out to you, and you could lose future financial aid eligibility until the overpayment is resolved.
What happens if I don't pass my classes?
If you do not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines stated in the NUHS Bulletin, your aid disbursement may be held. Pursuant to government regulations, a student must be maintaining the minimum GPA published in the NUHS Bulletin, which is 2.0, and must pass a certain percentage of classes they have attempted. It is possible your financial aid disbursement will be held until you are in good academic standing with the university.


When and how do I apply for scholarships I may be eligible for?

Undergraduate Students

Federal Student Aid recommends that students start researching for scholarships the summer after their junior year of high school. Every scholarship has different rules and different deadlines. Some even require submissions a year prior to starting college.

Graduate Students

Enrolled students will be informed when to apply for institutional scholarships.

What scholarships are available?

A wide array of scholarships are available to NUHS students. For an up-to-date listing, click here.

Do I have to fill out additional paperwork?

Not for institutional scholarships. Submit a completed application and required documents (if applicable) to the Office of Financial Aid. You may apply for more than one scholarship using the same application.

  • Download Institutional Scholarship Application:  PDF
  • Download Faculty Reference Form: PDF

Applications are also available in the Office of Financial Aid.

Do you have any additional resources to help prospective students find scholarships?


What military benefits or tuition discounts are available to students?
  • Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits
    National University is approved to offer assistance to students using Veterans Administration benefits for educational purposes. Any students interested in determining for which benefits they may be eligible must speak with the Registrar. All veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 and complete VA form 22-1995, or 22-1990 if they have attended college previously.
  • Yellow Ribbon Program
    National University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program ensures that students receiving benefits at the 100% rate under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) will receive full tuition and fees paid while pursuing their education at NUHS.
I have served in the military, but don’t qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program, what other benefits are available?
For an up-to-date listing of military assistance programs to aid those not covered by the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, by clicking here.


What is the tuition cost at NUHS?
Tuition costs for the next academic year are determined each May. Current year tuition rates are located in the NUHS Bulletin and in the “Cost Estimates” section of each program.

How are tuition payments broken down?
All tuition and fees are due and payable as indicated on the fee schedule furnished each term. The student must make arrangements for payment of tuition and fees in full prior to the first day of class through one of the Payment Options below.

  • Payment Plan: Pay one-fourth of the tuition prior to the first day of class and one- fourth each of the next three months due on the first day of the month.
  • Payment Options include: cash, personal check, money order, cashier’s check, traveler’s checks, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Payment Plan, financial assistance through the Financial Aid Office, or Veterans Education benefits.
  • Students wishing to use Veterans education benefits to cover tuition costs must provide the VA official at their campus location with a certificate of eligibility. Students who provide the certificate and are determined eligible for education benefits under Chapter 31, Chapter 33, Yellow Ribbon and Vocational Rehabilitation will not be subject to late fees, fines or holds during the waiting period for their VA tuition payments to arrive.
Can I pay monthly as a new student until my financial aid loans go through?
Yes! Students can pay monthly as aid is finalized, by making arrangements with Student Accounts.


What is FERPA?
FERPA is the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. This ensures that you are entitled to privacy in regards to your financial aid file. This means that if you are an independent student (per FAFSA definition), your file cannot be discussed with your parent unless you have provided the Office of Financial Aid with written permission to do so. If parent(s) were required to provide their information on the FAFSA, the file can be discussed with them.


Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 630-889-6518, or [email protected].


Article: What is the FAFSA?
Article: Completing the FAFSA – Everything You Should Know