Public Health Club Food Drive
National University’s Public Health Club is coordinating a food drive this week through Friday, March 2nd. Last semester, the club held a canned food drive and collected over 1000 items!
The student group is collecting food donations during the lunch hour this week in Janse Hall. For evening students and faculty, the club can arrange separate times to pick up donations. For students looking to fulfill service hour requirements, the donation of 4 items is equal to 1 off-campus hour, with a maximum of 3 hours being earned.
This trimester, the club has put together a list of healthy recipes with the help of Dr. Sukup. The recipes use combinations of common non-perishable items that provide easy and complete meals. This way, the club hopes to assemble ingredients for complete meal packages. The donations go for a worthwhile cause, and the club encourages everyone to donate what they are able. Last trimester, they received multiple emails thanking us for our donation. Let’s offer as much support as we did last semester!
Below are the recipes the group has assembled that may help guide your donations (of course, don’t feel limited by this list. All canned food is welcome):
Minestrone soup (8 items)
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can green beans (drained)
- 2 cans chicken stock
- 1 can small carrots (drained)
- 2 large cans tomato chunks (with Italian seasonings) (if unavailable, buy tomato chunk cans and an additional small container of Italian seasonings, available at Jewel)
- Pour all cans into large pot and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors
- Add water as needed
Chicken Casserole (4 items)
- Chicken (1 large can unsalted packed in water)
- Noodles (egg noodles) (1 can)
- Mushroom soup (1 can)
- Peas (1 can drained)
- Cook egg noodles via directions on package
- Strain pasta
- Combine I can mushroom soup, 1 drained canned peas, and 1 can chicken
- Combine with pasta and bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes
Chicken Tacos (6 items)
- ¼-½ cup water
- 12.5 oz can of Premium Chunk White Chicken, drained
- 15 oz can of organic black beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 oz can of green chilies
- 14.5 oz can organic tomatoes, diced & no salt added
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 12 Taco shells
- Taco sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a skillet, over medium-low heat, combine all canned ingredients, water, and taco seasoning packet, continue to stir until heated thoroughly and liquid is reduced to desired consistency, ~5 minutes.
- Place taco shells on a baking sheet with the open side down (look like tents). Heat the shells for 3 minutes
- Fill tacos and serve (optional to drizzle with taco sauce)
Servings: 12 tacos
Refried bean soup (8 items)
- 1 can spicy pinto beans
- 1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can unsalted stewed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 can chopped green chilies
- ¼ cup of salsa
- Tortilla chips
- Heat all ingredients (except the tortilla chips) in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Pumpkin coconut soup (5 items)
- 1-15oz can pumpkin
- 1-15oz can coconut milk
- 1 small can mild or medium green chili peppers
- 1 packet of garlic lime fajita seasonings from McCormick (available at Jewel)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized stock pot, on med/high heat for 15-20 minutes.
- When soup comes to a boil lower heat to simmer.
Chili (8 items)
- Kidney beans (1 can if with chicken, 2 if no chicken) (drained)
- Chicken (1 large can packed in water)
- Tomato (2 small or 1 big can) Onion garlic flavored(diced) (not drained)
- Green chiles (1 can)
- Corn (1 can drained)
- Mushrooms (1 can drained)
- Tomato paste (1 can)
- Quesadilla casserole McCormick recipe inspirations (available at Jewel)
- Heat everything in pan
- Combine everything in pot except kidney beans
- Cook on medium heat to a boil
- Add beans last and reduce heat to simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes
- Add water for consistency