Financial Aid - Doctor of Chiropractic

Frequently Asked Questions

The financial aid process is similar for both graduate and undergraduate students. Unless otherwise indicated, the response is applicable to all NUHS students applying for financial aid. Specific information on how to apply for aid is found in the "Getting Started" section of each academic program. The answers below reference general financial aid information that will answer most students' questions.

What is the tuition cost at NUHS? 
Tuition costs for the next academic year are determined each May. Current year tuition rates are located in the NUHS Bulletin and in the "Cost Estimates" section of each program.

How do I apply for financial aid? 
Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). National University of Health Science's school code is 001732. Call the Federal Processor at 800-433-3243 if you have difficulty accessing the FAFSA or completing the form.

How do I obtain a PIN if I never had one or forgot mine? 
Go to  and request one. If you have an email address they will email you the PIN, usually within 24 hours.

I will be taking Prerequisite Program courses at NUHS before enrolling in a graduate program. How do I fill out the FAFSA?
Since Prerequisite Program courses are at undergraduate level, you must complete the FAFSA as if you are applying for undergraduate aid. This means you must: (1) indicate you are at the 5th year undergraduate level; (2) indicate enrolling in a non-degree program; and (3) indicate enrollment in an undergraduate program. These data elements are updated to graduate responses prior to enrollment in a graduate program.

What else will I need to turn in to the Office of Financial Aid? 
You will be contacted via email if any additional information is needed from you to determine an award package for the year. Depending on the results of your FAFSA, you may be asked to submit a copy of your Social Security card, proof of birth date, confirmation of citizenship, or financial information. Please submit the requested documents as soon as possible.

I was selected for "verification." What does that mean? 
If you were selected for "verification," you will receive notification from the Office of Financial Aid requesting certain documents to verify that the data reported on your FAFSA was correct. These documents might include, but are not limited to, federal tax returns, W-2, a verification worksheet, and proof of citizenship. Once your file has been verified the Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your financial aid eligibility.

Students selected for verification must submit requested documents in the timeframe specified in order to receive a financial aid Award Letter. Eligible applicants who fail to provide requested documents by the last date of enrollment or August 20 of any award year (e.g., August 20, 2012 for the 2011-2012 year) will be ineligible to receive federal financial aid.

Why do I have to include my spouse's information on the FAFSA? 
The government requires your spouse's information be completed when determining your financial aid eligibility. They are not stating that your spouse must pay for your education; they are merely stating that they must use your spouses's financial data in determining your eligibility for federal funds.

How long will the verification process take? 
Generally, the verification process will be complete within one week of the documents being turned in to the office.

What if something is discovered to be incorrect on my FAFSA during the verification process? 
If something is incorrect on your FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid will correct it and send any change(s) electronically to the Federal Processor. If any changes are made, you will receive a new student aid report from the processor indicating those changes.

How will I know that the verification process has been completed? 
You will receive an award notification from the Office of Financial Aid indicating your eligibility for financial aid.

When will I receive an award notification? 
The Award Letters are sent out starting two months prior to the beginning of your first trimester. If you have not received your award notification prior to the beginning of the trimester, please contact the Office of Financial Aid to make certain they have received your student aid report, and have been notified that you have been admitted to the university.

How much is allowed for living expenses? 
The living expense amount is based on where you are living for the year. Whether living on-campus, off-campus or at home with parents/relatives, this is a fixed amount allocated for living expenses that needs to be carefully budgeted for the year. This includes allowances for rent, utilities, food, transportation, and personal expenses. Financial aid funds are to be used solely for educational expenses. In no circumstances will non-educational expenses be included in the Cost of Attendance. These expenses include items such as car payments, credit card payments, recreation, higher than normal rent/mortgage, spousal insurance, moving expenses, and security deposits. Living allowance information is listed in the "Cost Estimates" section in each program.

What do I do with my award letter when I receive it? 
You must sign one copy of your award letter, indicate any awards you wish to reject or decrease, and return it to the NUHS Office of Financial Aid. (Keep one copy for your own records). Specific instructions for receiving the funds will be included in the mailing you receive.

Will I receive enough funds to cover the cost of education? 
Undergraduate students are eligible for a variety of federal aid sources. Individual eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need (through submission of the FAFSA). Students may receive a Pell Grant, a Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, and Illinois residents may receive the Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. Additionally, since undergraduate courses are held in the evening, most students maintain part-time employment to assist with their educational costs. In addition to personal and family resources, undergraduate students may borrow from non-federal, private loan programs. These loans are credit-based and may require a co-signer.

Parents of undergraduate dependent students may borrow from the Parent PLUS loan, a low-cost, credit-based loan available through the Federal Direct Parent PLUS program. Interested parents should contact the Office of Financial Aid for further information.

Graduate students are generally able to borrow the estimated Cost of Education through the Direct Loan (not credit-based) and/or Graduate PLUS (credit-based) loan programs.

Degree seeking students may also work on campus under the Federal College Work Study program to help meet their expenses and to reduce the amount of loan.

How do I get my loan funds? 
After completing all required steps to obtain loan funds, the Federal Direct Loan funds (DL) are transferred electronically to the Office of Financial Services at NUHS at the start of each trimester. Prior to releasing funds to your account, your enrollment status will be reviewed and your financial aid may be reduced if any changes in enrollment reduce the budget on which aid is based.

How long will it take for my loan funds to arrive? 
After confirming that all required forms were received, and enrollment status verified, your loan funds should arrive the second week of class.

How do I purchase my books? 
Refund checks are available during the second week of the trimester, and therefore, students must arrange for purchase of books and supplies from other sources. We do not have a bookstore voucher system or other method of providing funds prior to the second week of the trimester.

How will I know that the funds were applied to my account? 
The Office of Financial Services sends an email when the funds are applied to your account indicating the amount and source of the loan. That email also indicates the approximate date you may pick up a refund check from the Cashier's office.

Can I have my refund check direct deposited to my checking account? 
The Office of Student Accounts is not set up to do that right now. Refund checks are picked up from the Cashier or you may request to have it mailed to you instead.

What if I decide I don't need to borrow as much as I did? 
You have the right to decrease your loan amount at any time throughout the period of your loan. You can decrease the amount you wish to receive on your Award Letter; or after funds have been disbursed to your account, you may write a check for the amount you wish to return and drop it off at the Office of Financial Aid. Sometimes it's difficult to know just how large a refund you will receive until after the university bill is paid, and it's OK to return a refund check rather than cash it.

What happens if I reduce the number of classes I take in a trimester? 
Tuition paid from Federal Direct loan proceeds will be returned to the U.S. Treasury due to a reduced course load. In addition, you could lose your financial aid eligibility. Courses dropped during a term are counted as "attempted" and may affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress status. If you intend to enroll as anything other than at least half-time student status, please consult with the Office of Financial Aid.

What if I withdraw?
Always consult the Office of Financial Aid before making a decision to withdraw. The government has very specific guidelines to be followed in the case of withdrawal from classes. It is possible you could end up owing the government a refund of funds already paid out to you, and you could lose future financial aid eligibility until the overpayment is resolved.

What happens if I don't pass my classes? 
If you do not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines stated in the NUHS Bulletin, your aid disbursement may be held. Pursuant to government regulations, a student must be maintaining the minimum GPA published in the NUHS Bulletin, which is 2.0, and must pass a certain percentage of classes they have attempted. It is possible your financial aid disbursement will be held until you are in good academic standing with the university.

What is FERPA? 
FERPA is the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. This ensures that you are entitled to privacy in regards to your financial aid file. This means that if you are an independent student (per FAFSA definition), your file cannot be discussed with your parent unless you have provided the Office of Financial Aid with written permission to do so. If parent(s) were required to provide their information on the FAFSA, the file can be discussed with them.

How do I get a copy of the Campus Safety & Security Report? 
The most current Campus Safety & Security Report is available online, published in the NUHS Bulletin, and available as a hard copy in the Office of Student Services.

Any other questions? 
Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 630-889-6518 or .