Today's Massage Therapists are…
- Most likely to enter the massage therapy profession as a second
- Predominantly female (85%).
- Average age, early 40s.
- Most likely to be members of a professional organization.
- Most likely to be sole practitioners.
- Working an average of 19 hours a week providing massage.
(Excluding time spent on other business tasks such as billing,
bookkeeping, supplies, maintaining equipment, marketing,
- Charging an average of $63 for one hour of massage.
- Earning an average wage of $41.50 an hour (including tip) for
all massage related work.
- Giving an average of 41 massages per month.
- Likely to provide massage therapy in a number of settings,
including their own home, spa/salon, their own office, a health
care setting, health club/athletic facility, or massage therapy
only franchise or chain.
- Eighty-nine percent (89%) of massage therapists provide Swedish
massage, followed by 82% who provide deep tissue massage, 52%
trigger point, and 49% sports massage.