Entrance and Exit Exams

This is the time of the trimester when many students are heavily engrossed in studying--this week is entrance and exit exams. As mentioned in previous blogs, three sets of students take entrance and exit exams: 

• Students who have fulfilled all their clinical observation responsibilities and first year coursework take internship entrance exams. This is typically an exciting time, as after successful completion of the entrance exams, these students become interns in the NUHS clinic.
  • The second set of entrance exams occurs after the intern has fulfilled at least one year of clinical internship along with their coursework. At this junction, the student/intern takes senior entrance exams.
  • Graduating students also take exams this week. The graduation exams are exit exams. They help the student and school gauge how much information the student has retained since beginning their AOM education at NUHS.

2012-11-14_books

The initial entrance exam includes testing over point location and theory, foundations of AOM, biomedicine, and a practical exam. The senior entrance exam includes a more advanced version of exams covering those subjects. Additionally, these students are tested in herbology. The exit exam includes all the subjects the senior entrance exams include, but omits the practical portion.

This week I am taking the graduation exit exams. I feel that preparing for these exams is helping me to prepare for taking my board exams. I feel the exit exams are insightful in showing me how much I have learned and retained, how prepared I am for my board exams, and as a way of reminding myself of things I may have forgotten. I find this preparation is very useful for my clinical work as well. Reviewing all the material since beginning at NUHS is helping me rediscover information I had forgotten. As a result, it's helping me re-expand the application of this information clinically.

2012-11-14_cat

As shown in previous blogs, I have two adorable cats that enjoy helping me study.  Typically they let me know when it's time for a study break, as shown in the picture above.

Thank you for reading my blog this week. I hope you make this a great week!