Salvation Army Rotation

In clinic this week, I am on my Salvation Army rotation. All ninth trimester interns do a two-week rotation through either the morning or afternoon Salvation Army clinics, and there is an opportunity for five permanent clinic spots for your ninth and tenth trimester clinical internship. With my new job and crazy work schedule, I had to switch around some of my shifts, and I am doing both morning and afternoon.

2013-11-27_salvationarmy

The clinics are drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities. National University offers physical exams, chiropractic care, and supplementation to the residents there. As an intern rotating through the clinic, I am in charge of "new man exams." These are full physical exams that include a hernia exam before the residents start work at Salvation Army. If there is extra time after the exam, I am able to give them treatment for any conditions diagnosed or wellness care. 

Acupuncture Elective

This week in my acupuncture elective we covered the urinary bladder and kidney meridians. The urinary bladder channel consists of 67 points and begins at the corner of the eye, goes around the top of the head, down the back and leg, and ends at the outer tip of the little toe. The urinary bladder is a water-energy yang organ. An imbalance in the urinary bladder meridian can cause such psychological symptoms as habitual fear, lack of decision-making capability and a diminished moral character. This meridian is also great for chronic tension and pain, which may be relieved by stimulating the flow of energy along the spinal branches of the bladder meridian.

The paired organ to the urinary bladder is the kidney and is considered a water-energy yin organ. The kidney meridian consists of 27 points and starts at the bottom of the foot, goes up the front of the leg, abdomen, and ends on the front of the chest around the first rib. In Chinese medicine, the kidneys control sexual and reproductive functions and provide the body's prime source of sexual vitality, which they regard as a major indicator of health and immunity. Weak kidney energy is therefore a prime cause of anemia and immune deficiency. The negative psycho-emotional attributes of this channel are fear, loneliness, insecurity, and shock (which attacks the heart first then descends into the kidneys to become fear). A really interesting point, KD 1, which is on the bottom of the foot, is really good for intractable pain often experienced by cancer patients.