Applying - Massage Therapy

Prerequisites for Admission

All individuals who wish to become competent and ethical massage therapists are encouraged to apply for admission to the university. National University admits new classes each September and January.

Massage Therapy students must read and understand the technical standards for the program.

In addition, all students enrolled in the Massage Therapy Certification program or the A.A.S. degree program must take the Introduction to Massage Therapy course in the first week of Trimester 1, and must pass it as a requirement to continue in the program. This course is designed to determine if massage therapy is the right career choice for the student.

Massage Therapy Certification Program

Applicant must be a high school graduate with a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale cumulative GPA, or be GED-certified.

Applicant must be 18 years of age or older at the time of matriculation. 

Associate of Applied Sciences Degree

Students entering the Associate of Applied Science in Massage Therapy degree program must meet the additional requirement of having successfully completed a minimum of 30 credit hours of general education courses at a regionally accredited institution of higher education prior to entering the massage program. Courses and credits are evaluated by NUHS staff for approval or acceptance, and must include:

  • 6 credits in English Composition
  • 3 credits in Public Speaking
  • 9 credits in Social / Behavioral Sciences (courses may be taken from the following areas: anthropology, economics, history, human geography, political science, psychology, and sociology)
  • 9 credits in Humanities and Fine Arts (courses may be taken from the following areas: language, history, literature, philosophy, religious and cultural studies, performing arts -- e.g. music/dance/theater appreciation or history -- visual arts -- e.g. art appreciation, film studies)
  • 3 credits in General Psychology

Courses must be completed with a 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale in all of these core requirements.

If you have not completed the above prerequisites, you are still welcome to apply, provided you complete the course work before starting the program. If you do not have the necessary prerequisites, you may also be eligible to enroll in National's non-degree massage therapy certification program, if you have a high school diploma or GED.