Thanksgiving

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick note this week to wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving! I'll share a bit of what I am thankful for this Thanksgiving.

I am thankful for my family. My parents, each with no more than an eighth grade education, ensured that I was reading before I entered kindergarten and I'll always have fond memories of sitting with Mom or Dad reading Little Golden Books. Both instilled a lifelong love of reading and my library is backlogged with books to read after my fill of medical school books over the past three years. I am thankful for my three sisters who put up with my antics as we grew up and moved away from home. I am thankful for all of my nieces and nephews, who carry on the family name and tradition of gathering on Thanksgiving at my folks' home. That's a lot of people in a 900-square-foot home, but the love expands the walls immeasurably when everyone is present!

2012-11-19_thanksgiving
The Gathering Banquet Table: (L-R) Tim, Danielle, Jenna, and Fatemeh

I am thankful for each of my classmates. I have said that before and I reiterate again today. The group of classmates I have are individually wonderfully people. They are some of the finest, most cooperative over-achievers one could meet. Regardless of the challenge, this group comes together for each other, charitable causes and communication. I am proud to be a part of the class of December 2013 and have made life-long friendships during my times at NUHS.

I am thankful for my friends back home. We have been through "thick and thin" together. Births, deaths, layoffs, downsizing, promotions, marriage and divorce; each of my little group back home is ever present to lend a hand, an ear, a shoulder or a back when work needs to be done. These are the folks who didn't say I was crazy for leaving a good job to become a naturopathic doc at 40 years old. These are the folks who ask every four months, "Are you coming home Ammons?" Friends who want to catch up and are eager to keep in touch are truly a thing to be thankful for.

I hope you are with the ones you care about this holiday. That you have experienced a year of abundance in health, love and happiness and that your dreams, plans and experiences have contributed to your betterment and the betterment of all!

See you next week!