Weekend Learning

One of the benefits of being an NUHS AOM student is having the privilege of taking seminars taught by HB Kim. HB Kim is a brilliant man who has conceptualized many patterns and concepts of acupuncture and oriental medicine. He has written several books and articles including Handbook of Oriental Medicine and Minibook of Oriental Medicine. He has a forum on www.hbkimforum.com where many of his articles can be located. 

2011-10-10_hb KimI took my first seminar taught by HB Kim this weekend--Acupuncture Treatment Strategies. I learned a great deal. I feel he took what I have been learning and fit the knowledge into patterns that I did not see before, and I feel that I learned many new concepts as well. Kim's seminar has shown me that AOM is a vast medicine that in some ways has little ceiling to what it can treat and how it can be combined.   

While I thoroughly enjoy being an AOM student, the combination of recent stressors and demands of school has caused school to feel a bit worrisome at times. This weekend's seminar reminded me why I fell in love with AOM. It helped me rekindle my passion for the medicine that has been there, but had less of a flicker lately due to recent events. 

The information taught in the seminar reminded me that thousands of years of knowledge and practice have been combined through many great minds and masters of oriental medicine to bring us where we are today. I have been reminded that through the simple use of needles and herbs, combined with a strong knowledge base and skill set, patients heal and lives change. While I realize that is not always the case, it is nice to know it occurs much of the time and is the goal we are striving towards.

Another aspect of this weekend's seminar that was very nice was the fellowship of my classmates. It was so wonderful to be learning in an environment that is based on encouragement and positivity. Each class began at 8am, which feels rather early for a weekend. It was comforting to be surrounded with good friends who were excited to be learning the information together. Every student was there to learn and was eager to gain the knowledge HB Kim was sharing. Being surrounded by colleagues in this environment is so beneficial when learning new information.