Wellness Fair

Hello, everyone. The weather down here in Florida is finally cooling off, and it feels incredible. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging around the beach and cooling off in the pool, but not much beats sitting at an outside bar on a Sunday watching some football and not sweating through your clothes.

Speaking of watching some good football, how about those FSU Seminoles? Granted we played Duke this past weekend, but 48-7 was a blowout, and I got to see it live and in person. My younger brother and I made the trip up to Tallahassee for the weekend to catch the game and party a little bit. We had a great time, and I realized how much I miss college.

2012-10-29_football 

All College Day

We had a really cool, world-learning adventure last week at St. Pete College's All College Day. Dr. Jennifer Illes recruited us 10th trimester interns to perform blood pressure screenings at this SPC faculty event. We set up our NUHS table, outfitted it with brochures and cards, and started with the screenings.

I was happy to see so many of the SPC faculty and staff take so much interest in our school and clinics. This wasn't just an opportunity to practice taking blood pressures on people, it was killer practice on how to market and communicate with people who weren't all that familiar with our clinics, or profession for that matter. Now, more than ever, I am realizing how important of a trade it is to be able to communicate with the public in such a way that shows that you are knowledgeable, but at the same time able to show that you are likeable and easy to understand. This skill is invaluable, and only comes from practice.

2012-10-29_wellnessfair

I would recommend jumping at any opportunity you could that requires you to talk to the public. Being able to communicate with patients in the treatment room is extremely beneficial, but you first have to get them in the door. I will be performing screenings for my own office in the months to come, and the practice we had last week really opened my eyes to how the public really views our profession, and how I'll have to work to sway people my way.

Negative Nancys

My uncle forwarded me an article last week that I thought was awesome and would like to share with all you Negative Nancys out there. The article by Hope Gillette titled "Negativity and Complaining is Bad for the Brain, Experts Say," alludes to the fact that the brain reacts differently in response to disturbing or negative information. Listening to as little as 30 minutes of complaining can damage neurons within the hippocampus, the part of the brain that deals with problem solving. The article gives some simple tips to avoid the inevitable day-to-day complaining that will be hurled your way, and even how to flip the problem on chronic complainers. It's an easy read that I thought was pretty cool, plus it gave me an excuse to tell the complainers in our office to keep it to themselves.

Congratulations!

Congratulations to everyone who passed their board exams; all the interns down here in the Florida clinic did extremely well. Hard work always pays off; so don't stop now! 

I'd also like to congratulate our very own Dr. Rudy Heiser on his second consecutive WAG (Wild Ass Guess) award win this past weekend at the ACCR (American College of Chiropractic Radiology) convention. The WAG is the pride of the DACBR community and Dr. Heiser has brought it home to NUHS Florida for the second year in a row. Florida campus representing!!

I hope everyone has a great week.

Catch you guys later,
Dex