Dismal Weekend

Good morning, and I hope everyone's weekend went well. I spent the weekend in bed as it rained and I fought off the flu; at least I was able catch up on some movies I had wanted to see. I was also sad to see the Rays leave the post season, losing to the Texas Rangers. It was a disappointing end to an exciting season. The Tampa Bay Bucs and Florida State Seminoles also blew it this weekend, all adding to my already dismal weekend.

New Day

Today is a new a day, and it's Monday, which means more simulated patients and having to leave my weekend at the door, and put on my happy pants. When we walk in with a patient, we have to portray hope and confidence. The more a doctor can ensure confidence that their patient will get better, the better the patient feels, and the better their prognosis.

Visiting Speaker

This past week the NUHS-Florida chapter of the Student American Chiropractic Association (SACA) heard Dr. Mark Wieland, Florida Chiropractic Association (FCA) president, speak on the topic of business and business planning. Dr. Wieland is a 1985 National graduate, and is one of the newest editions to the Florida clinical sciences staff. I have the opportunity to learn from Dr. Wieland on a weekly basis, as he is teaching the seventh trimester Business Planning class.

2011-10-10_speaker
Dr. Mark Wieland speaking to SACA members at NUHS-Florida.

His presentation given to SACA members revolved around time management and the success of business. Being able to manage time in the clinic and eventually in your own practice is a skill in and of itself. I am already starting to find this out with my sessions with simulated patients. Efficiency in all aspects of patient interaction is key to providing quality care in an allotted time. Dr. Wieland brings this point up quite a bit. Patients are accustomed to waiting when they visit their MD, but do not expect (and shouldn't have to) to wait when they visit their chiropractor.

So what's the magic bullet for patient efficiency? Practice! Everything from watching the patient rise from the reception room chair, to observing how they walk back to the exam room can provide you with an abundant amount of information on which to focus the rest of their visit. Once in the exam room, be prepared. It's important to have a game plan before even greeting the patient.  If it is a first patient encounter, have a constant routine in taking a history; this will not only conserve time, but also give you a sense of confidence over repetition. The same follows for a physical exam. These skills will be unique to each doctor, and will only be honed over repetition and trial and error.

Hopefully, this week's post gets some people thinking about the bigger picture a bit. It's so easy to get sucked into the class and grades aspect of our education that we sometimes forget that we are here learning how to treat patients, not fill out scantron sheets. Study hard, be prepared for each day, and remember that we are learning how to help people. Have a great week.

Dex