The summer trimester is upon us! This will be the first summer
I've ever had classes throughout and since it's only the first
week, not a lot school-wise, has happened so I figured I'd tell you
a little about my break. The absolute best advice I can give you
between trimesters is to have a BLAST, live it up, do something
new, enjoy the mush of a brain you have post-finals, and for all
other intents and purposes, recharge your battery.
What I find really strange is how many people shallowly ask when
they get back to school, "How was your break?" almost half
expecting a "good" or "relaxing" or "not bad" answer. I've been
trying to answer with slightly more detail just to see the reaction
on their faces. My new answer goes like this:
- I celebrated my 23rd birthday in Boston with my best
friends from high school.
- Gave my 81-yea-old grandma a piggyback up a flight of stairs
(no elevator in the building) only to put her right down in a room
full of people that yelled, "SURPRISE!" (We gave her a surprise
60th wedding anniversary party! :)
- Jumped off a 40 ft. cliff…into water.
- Couch-surfed my way from Boston to Richmond to James Madison
- Celebrated my best friend's graduation from college and
commission as a 2nd lieutenant.
- Entered a 10,000 fans contest put on by New York Times best
selling author, and one of my heroes, Tim Ferriss.
- Challenged myself to contact Ori Hofmekler, author of the
best-selling Warrior Diet, about a potential business
venture. Task completed!
- Scalped tickets at Fenway Park to see a thrilling Red Sox
You could say I enjoyed my break!
As with all trimesters I wanted to put some goals down for me to
subconsciously strive for.
- Learn the new material well. (Grades don't matter to me, but
understanding the material enough to excel for my future patients
does, which is why my goal is phrased like this.)
- Do something once a week that makes me really uncomfortable.
(By always pushing the bubble, I enjoy life more and open doors
- Go to at least 1 seminar. (The second depends on money.)
- Find balance. (My dad's favorite word. It means that nothing
gets excessive attention or anxiety and everything in your life
fits together such that you feel content…obviously a tough
- Explore more of Chicago. (With the warm weather, I hope to make
it into the city for more adventures than I was able the first two
- Last goal is to worry less about things that are out of my
control. (I have a bad tendency to focus into the future and
prepare for different events. While this helps me with lots of
aspects with my life, it absolutely drains my adrenal glands and
I've noticed that nothing makes me feel better than an adrenal
supplement and accepting whatever happens is meant to happen.)
With that wrapping up my break and my goals for the trimester,
how was your break? Did you do everything you wanted to? Would you
change anything? If so, think about the changes you can make for
this trimester to be your best yet.