Giving Thanks

With the holidays in full swing it's easy to get distracted by the corporate advertising, the pressure to buy gifts, and the freezing temperatures. I want to take this opportunity to think about what I'm thankful for. I'd like to challenge you to do the same! 

One of the things I'm thankful for is having a great family that even when things get rough will always be there for me no matter what. I'm thankful for the great friends I've met at National because moving across country where I didn't know anyone meant that this wasn't a guarantee. There are a zillion other things but those are the most important to me right now.

2011-11-29-sweater
This picture is of the "ugly Christmas sweater" my
friend found for me for a party this weekend! Ha, ha!

I recently read a study on happiness where researchers tried to figure out if money had anything to do with how happy people were. What researchers found was money helped to a point when all your necessary needs like food, shelter and clothing were met. Once you had the essentials, money was not important to overall happiness like many people believe. Often they found that "just making a little more money" was not the key to happiness. In fact, the best "happiness factor" they found was getting together with a big group of family/friends at night for a dinner and stories. Interesting since Thanksgiving and the holidays are upon us, and family dinners are the norm instead of the exception. 

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and didn't pass out in a food coma too long! Who am I kidding; that's the best part!

I wasn't able to make it back to Boston since the flights were outrageous, so I spent Thanksgiving with my friend Shannon and her family. I have to admit I ended up having a blast with her family and we shared a ton of laughs, food, football, and of course Apples to Apples. In case you haven't played, Apples to Apples is a board game were you have outrageous topics and you put down cards based upon what you think the other person will pick. So, there's a fair amount of psychology in the game if you want to win. Over a couple glasses of wine it becomes hysterical to see what cards people will play and pick. We played so long that we had essentially seen every card in the game at least once!  

Well, back to studying for me, we have only a few short weeks until finals and before you know it we will be on Winter Break! Hurray! I need a break. :)  

Cheers,
Christian