Happy Halloween

Do you have your costume yet? Are you going trick or treating?

It's that time of year again and my mind wanders back to the smell of fallen leaves and the colors of the trees. It's a time of pumpkins, little kids wearing plastic masks (at least when I was growing up), and hyperactivity from too much sugar. Many of the neighborhoods around here do a TON of decorating for Halloween. You'd think it was Christmas, with all the lights and accoutrements.

2013-10-29_halloweenhouse1

Someday I'll do all of this stuff again. I used to go all out with decorations for every holiday. There's one house in the Crescent Lake neighborhood (where these pictures were taken) that gives away polished stones and wishes. It's pretty cool.

2013-10-29_halloweenhouse2

Tell me the truth. How much candy have you eaten already? I always try to make it through the season without eating any Halloween candy. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. There's been candy floating around at school already. I think this year qualifies as a failed evasion. I'll try to keep it from going further downhill. It might not be that bad. Of course, trying to combat it with the gym and some otherwise healthy eating will be a definite must. I'm on it!

The temperature has dropped temporarily, which makes it "chilly" (upper 50s-60s) at night and not quite as hot during the day. I understand that it's only temporary, as it's supposed to be in the mid-80s by the middle of the week. This is the time of year when I realize I have absolutely no "warm" clothes. None whatsoever. I have to stop myself from going shopping to buy these things--as the cold snaps are USUALLY only temporary and don't "stick" until late December/January and stop by mid-February. Layering is helpful. I must admit that seeing my fellow students in the interactive sessions in Lombard walk into class in their coats and sweaters makes me both sad and glad that I'm someplace warm.

How did midterms go? We have one more on Wednesday and I think we're done for a couple of weeks. We have several right before Thanksgiving again--big projects and exams. I can't believe how quickly it's all gone by! It'll be Christmas before we know it. I'm not going to lie--last week was tough. I think it might have been one of the toughest midterm weeks I remember having. Three radiology exams in one week do not make for a low-stress life. This week should be more low key.

So, if you were trick or treating in Crescent Lake, and stopped by the Fairy's house--what would your wish be? Think about it, and get back to me.

2013-10-29_pumpkin
Experimental Pumpkin Brain Surgery

Have an amazing, responsible candy-eating Halloween Week. And if you dress up, send me a picture. Maybe I'll dress up and post one--or maybe not.