Busy Week

This is one of those times when writing the blog is tough, because I can't remember all of the things I've done over the last week! I'm to the point where I'm keeping daily lists so things don't fall through the cracks. There's just so much to do and so much to study for.

Last week I had 2 exams, and this coming week, 2 exams and 2 quizzes. Next week (brace yourself), there are 5 exams. I've always wondered why we do things this way. Five exams in one week are too many. It's just as if it were finals. But, here we are.

I was able to join some of my classmates out on Friday night. It seems that a good time was had by all. We were able to meet some of the first trimester folks that I'd missed from the First Tri Mixer. They all seem really great. One of the drawbacks to the way our campus is set up here is that the students are spread out to four different places. We have the basic science students in one location, the clinical science students in another, and the interns in two different clinic locations. So, once someone crosses over into a different area, we don't always see each other again--unless we make an effort to do so. So that's why the mixers and impromptu get-togethers are really important. It gives us a chance to meet some of the other students from different locations.

I like how cohesive our group is in particular. I've mentioned this before, but we really do become somewhat of a family. After all, we spend five days a week, together, ALL day. If we don't love or hate each other by the end, there's something wrong. Those that have joined our original four members have been welcome additions. And of course we miss those that have left us--whether they transferred campuses to Lombard, or decided to slow down. Most of my original class is now in the same building. It's good to see them every day again. I've missed them.

As if I didn't have enough going on, last week, I started the Master's Degree in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine through the University of Western States. The program is all online and we have students from literally all over the world. The program there is a wonderful complement to the program here. Since my goal is to have an integrative, functional medicine practice, it's a great fit for me. My goal is to complete the master's about the same time I finish here at National. I'll let you all know how that's going.

Time management and prioritizing are absolutely key to maintaining some semblance of sanity with all this coursework. I'm not sure I'm there yet--but I'm working on it. Of course, anyone that knows me knows that I'm at least partly insane, so I must have lost something somewhere. Calendars, schedules, lists, planning, and keeping track of everything that has to be done is extremely important. On top of that, checking all of those things off the list is extremely fulfilling. I have to remember to ONLY put things on the list that HAVE to be done--no lofty ambitions, week-long projects, or 5-year goals. My lists sometimes get out of control--admittedly, and sometimes they end up with the weirdest, most random thoughts written on them--like philosophical questions. And THAT could go anywhere. :)

2013-10-15_peel
(Image source: redlandrambles.wordpress.com)

I took a few minutes out of studying on Saturday to go to a ROOTS seed and plant share event. We grew a lot of our own food when I was growing up, and as I've had space, have tried to do the same off and on. Now that I have some yard space, I'm working on it again. Let me just say that this event was absolutely amazing.

People from the local area bring seeds they've collected, cuttings, plants, trees--you name it--and they just give it away. I took some Aloe seeds that my plant had put out last year. I'd been saving them for quite a while. I honestly didn't even know that Aloe seeded; I'd only seen people plant Aloe by cutting. The Aloe plant that produced the seed was gifted to me a few years ago from a fellow student, so it only seemed fitting that I gift its progeny. In return, I was gifted pumpkin seeds, stevia seeds, loofah seeds, and heirloom squash seeds. I was hoping for loofah, but couldn't believe how much was there!?! A lady tried to send me home with a bag full of about 500 seeds! People were so generous. I'm eternally grateful, and hopefully my garden will be booming here in a couple of weeks. Since I've never had a fall garden before, I have no idea what to expect. We shall see.

Happy Studying and Organizing everyone! Have a great week!